The other day I took Leah and Lauren to this really big flower market just to walk around for a little while and see what we could see. There were tons of stalls with beautiful flowers of all kinds, azaela bushes and beautiful plum blossom trees. As we were walking, Leo found us and started walking with us then we came upon the bird section of the market. There were tons of little pet birds of all varieties in little cages but nothing we hadn't really seen before - it's pretty normal to see these bird markets around China as birds are a fairly common pet for the Chinese. But then we rounded the corner to go see more birds when we came across these bigger black birds. In the background I could hear people talking in Chinese but didn't think much of it, I mean we are in Shanghai :), UNTIL I realized it was not people talking it was the BIRDS talking in Chinese! The girls and I got so tickled over this that we could hardly believe it. Leo thought we were so funny because we had never seen a bird speak Chinese. I informed him that all the birds we had ever known spoke English! Now I know in my head it makes perfect sense for a bird that has only been around Chinese people to speak Chinese just as babies do, but to actually hear it...was a riot! I tried to video it with my phone camera because I didn't have my big camera with me. So hopefully you can at least get a little blip to experience this with us. There were other birds that were talking lots but every time I went to film them, they just chirped like a regular bird! It cracked me up...it's like they new the crazy foreigner wanted to capture their Chinese on film! So anyway, here is at least a little bit for y'all! You have to listen closely - it's right at the end, the bird says "Ni hao" or hello! :) You can hear the ni hao and see his little beak move! Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment