Wednesday, August 05, 2009

An archaeology dig...

Today the girls had a fun day so I thought I would share some picture of it. This year the girls and I are studying Ancient civilizations...you know, like Egyptians, Romans, etc. but before we dive into that I have been talking to the girls about archaeology and how we know some of the things we know about the past because of archaeology digs. Of course, we saw the Terracotta Warriors earlier this year so they had a bit of an idea of how it works. I found the coolest things at Toys R Us here that I bought to help explain the concept to them a bit more and they were a huge hit. Basically they each got to do their own little "dig". I didn't tell them what was in the block of "dirt" so they had the fun of discovering what they dug up.

It was so funny to watch the two girls dig out their treasure...so indicative of their personalities. Lauren was digging as fast and as furiously as one could imagine (as you can see by all the debris on her face and everywhere) with big chunks coming off and me saying over and over, "be careful, watch out, make sure you don't break the treasure."

And Leah sitting digging very carefully, patiently, overly cautious making sure that she didn't go too fast so as not to break anything or miss anything! She would dig for a minute then carefully brush away the debris...I had to keep reminding Lauren, don't forget to use the brush! :)

It just cracks me up how completely different they are and yet they really are the best playmates and absolutely love being together. I guess the "opposites attract" thing is true of sisters, too. In the end, both found their treasure...Lauren's Terracotta horse and Leah's Terracotta warrior.


After she finished, Leah said, "wow, archaeology is really cool!" Mission accomplished! :)

No comments: