Monday, August 17, 2009

Life in China

Lauren and I went out for a bike ride today to pick up a few things at the store and came across this man on the corner. This is so typical here in Shanghai but every time I see it, I'm still amazed. I think it might just be a new business opportunity for some of y'all in the US.


This particular gentleman had chickens, ducks, pigeons and Lauren said she saw baby chicks, but not sure about that one. The great thing is once you pay for it, he is even nice enough to slaughter it for you on the spot and then throw all the yucky stuff into the white bucket. What nice service! :) And, it should also be noted that this cage is attached to the back of his motorcycle so if business dries up in one area, he can just hop on and drive on down the road to sell to the next group of Chinese ladies that come out to greet him.

By the way, I'm not sure how he gets those chicken to stay so nicely on top of the cage. Every time (OK, the few times) I have been around chickens they scatter in every direction the moment you get close to them. I'm thinking that maybe their leg was roped to the cage...probably not what the PETA people want to hear but, alas, this is China!

Anyway, just wanted to share the fun picture. I'm certain there is a market for this type of fresh meat in the US for any of you entrepreneurs out there. Have a great week!

And PS: for those interested...we survived the typhoon with very little fanfare except a lot of rain and a bit of wind. It mainly hit way south of us but we certainly got quite a bit of rain from it.

No comments: