
We received Kate today and she is absolutely beautiful! The handoff was actually very uneventful because sweet Kate was sound asleep. Even when the Ayi handed her to me she didn’t even bobble! Woohoo – a good sleeper! She is so beautiful – she has the longest eyelashes you have ever seen. She was wearing this sweet little yellow outfit with her name sewn on the chest. She probably slept for about 30 minutes more after the hand off and then began waking up while we were still at the Civil Affairs office. She was OK for a couple of minutes after waking up but then began to cry. It was a heartbreaking cry for me because it wasn’t a screaming fit kind of cry but a low, slow grieving kind of cry. No matter how many times I have experienced that cry and even know to expect it, it still breaks our heart to watch them go through the process. She is such a sweet baby and to have to see her cry and mourn because she is so scared is so hard to watch. The girls were really great with her. They kept bringing out lots of toys for her, singing to her and just touching and patting her very sweetly. Leah kept saying, “Mom, she’s just not used to us yet.” How true that is! Kate loves looking at the girls. In fact, she would look at Leah, quit crying and then look up at me and start crying again! Poor thing! When we got back to the room, she would play for a bit and then cry for a bit, play a bit, cry a bit. This went on until about 8:00 when the crying really kicked into high gear. She wouldn’t take the bottle we had prepared – and by wouldn’t take it, I mean wouldn’t even let the bottle get near her lips. We changed her into her jammies and then just lay beside her on our bed until she finally fell asleep around 8:30. We had a bottle ready for her in the night when we figured she would wake up starving but it is now 6:30am and she is still sound asleep. The poor child was just exhausted. We are excited for her to wake up but by the 3rd one I’ve learned, “NEVER wake a sleeping baby!” The director and ayi from the orphanage were very sweet and said that they loved Kate very much. It certainly appears that she was well taken care of as she is very big – weighs 21 pounds – and they told us she takes 1 and a half bottles each time she is fed! She looks so healthy. She had a bit of a cough last night but I think it might have just been from all the crying so we’ll watch that. Now I’ve got to go get dressed so we can go down for breakfast as soon as Kate wakes up! We praise God for this beautiful blessing He has bestowed on our family. She is a true gift from God and we feel so blessed to have her! I'll post more pictures from the day later - I've got to get a shower! :)

We did

get one smile out of Kate last night!
13 comments:
Beautiful, truly beautiful. I never get tired of hearing about and seeing pictures of that special first moment. Thank you for sharing. Look forward to more. Congratulations! Sarah & Eliza Yiyi
We are so happy for all you! It's nice that she calms when looking at the girls. It's kinda special...like having the same hair color. :) Lets hope the great sleeping patterns continue, maybe she could teach Lauren something about sleep. HA!
I just can't wait till you bring her home and we can meet her.
Love and miss you all
Jeannie
Congratulations to the Steeds and the Grandparents too. I sit here in tears looking at Kate and her forever family and feel so blessed to know you guys. (I can't wait to show Frani the new pics but I am not going to wake up an 8 yr old). It brings back memories of my first moments with Frani. As you now, this too shall pass and with each day she will be more comfortable with you guys. Its great the girls are already interacting with Kate and sharing toys. We can't wait to see the new family of 5!!!
HAPPY FAMILY DAY
Kelli & Frani
Okay, sorry if this comes through twice...my first message is in cyber space somewhere!
Kate is just beautiful and look at all that hair! We thought Leah was big at that age, but 21 pounds...what a chunky monkey! Tonight when the boys were going to bed Collin said, "Just think, Mom, Mr. John and Miss Cristi now have Kate! It's okay to still pray for her, right?" As you can see, we are all ready to meet Little Miss Kate! We are very happy for all of you, including "Granny and Pawpaw". You will continue to be in our prayers. Tell Leah and Lauren they are sweet big sisters...you might want to wait to break the news to Lauren that she has been officially de-throned!
Can't wait to see you soon!
Love, Cathy
Words can't describe how happy we are for you! I love the new pictures of Dad w/ Kate and Mom w/ all 3 of her girls - so precious.
We can't wait until we get to meet baby Kate for ourselves. In the meantime, keep the pictures coming.
Love,
Dave, Jen, Lindsey, Hayley, & Logan Clarke
Cristi & family,
What wonderful news, congratulations! Your hearts must be so full.
Kate is adorable, and her lovely big sisters are equally precious. What a lovely family you have!
What an incredible journey you are on. Enjoy every moment!
Kelly (mom to Joe, Kegan, Toby and our Yangdong princess, Katie a.11-08-06)
What an utterly beautiful family! Thanks so much for sharing with us. I can't wait to meet you guys in DBQ. Kelli and Tina have so many wonderful things to say.
Blessings to you all,
Beth and Steve
She is really, really cute. Can't wait to see her in person. We will continue to pray for you and your family.
Congratulations! God is so good! Kate is truly blessed to have you as mom, dad and big sisters. (She just may not know that quite yet!):) Thank you for all of the pictures and telling us what is happening. It's wonderful to follow along from half a world away! You all continue to be in prayers and thoughts as your journey continues. Take good care-
Love,
Patti, Jim, Kyle, Paige and Sarah
What a beautiful family! Kate is so big! Congrats! I just can't tell you how happy I am for you! Many Blessings!
xoxo, Lindsey
Hi everyone!
First of all, I had to chuckle at your great wall photo-you look soooo cold, my little Texas girl!
I read your email about Kate's troubles. I suppose the only good thing about her grief is that you know she was well taken care of. I will pray that God will comfort all of you during this time. I pray that God will soon fill her with joy over her new family! I pray that she will eat well for you (although maybe we should watch what we pray for on that one!)
I cannot tell you how happy I am for all of you. We just love you all and feel that Kate is soo blessed to be a part of your family!
Love,
Holly
Steed family,
Thanks for sharing this journey with us...I enjoy seeing the pictures and hearing what you are up to each day. How cool that Lauren and Leah are able to be there with you and help with the transition for Kate.
I'll be praying to Kate and your family that the transition goes better in the next few days and that you are blessed with abundant patience and wisdom in the days ahead.
Blessings! Stacey Borrenpohl
Dear Steed Family,
Kate is beautiful! Reading your entry brought tears to my eyes...it's truly a picture of God's goodness to us! We are praying for the details you still need to accomplish as you get ready to bring Kate home!
"The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy." Psalm 126:3
Blessings and Hugs,
Allyson
Post a Comment