Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A couple of fun days!

We spent most of the last two days just enjoying time together as a family. The last two months have been filled with so much busyness and hecticness that it is nice to just hang out together.

Two days ago we went to Chaoyuan Park which is just across the street from the hotel we are staying at here in Beijing. The park is really lovely and will be the site of the Olympic Beach Volleyball games. After entering the gates and walking a short distance we came to the kids “amusement park” area and it was a hoot to see. It’s things you would only see in China, I think.

For one, our girls got their chance to fish for the first time ever. I know, I know they are 5 & 6 years old and have never been fishing – we’re bad parents I guess. But the funniest thing of all is their first time ever fishing was fishing for goldfish! No kidding! Here are pictures to prove it. Leah and Lauren each caught 2. The gentleman was nice enough to even let us keep them but we passed on that option.

Now the 2nd really funny thing we saw was the equivalent of a hamster in the workout ball. There were these big bubbles out on the lake filled with air. Young children (mostly boys) would get in them and try to roll all around the lake. Now keep in mind that it was about 95 degrees outside when we were there and I’m sure inside those bubbles had to be like being inside of a furnace but despite it all the boys looked like they were having fun. Lauren, of course, thought it would be fun to try but we convinced her otherwise. Something about a lack of oxygen comes to mind. And yes, Lynette & Jennifer, if I hadn't witnessed it with my own two eyes I wouldn't have believed John either!



Yesterday we went to an indoor play area much to Leah’s delight. She is really not a huge complainer but I think I have heard her say, “I’m hot, Mom” more times in the last 3 days than in her whole life! The play area was on the top floor of a shopping center and really was fun. They had all kinds of blow up jumpy, bouncy things the kids could play on. The most fun area was this upstairs loft area that was filled with balloons and fans to blow them around. You can’t imagine the squeals of delight that came from that area. I’ll just post some pictures because they really do tell the story better.










And lastly, this photo is just a funny one and something you see often in China. It is amazing how much one person can haul on one bike. I'm just hoping this isn't the way our goods show up from the container! :)

Sorry for all the weird formatting - I'm having trouble with blogger!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK..not sure what to think of the "hamster balls". Jared is ready to try it though!
Jeannie

Anonymous said...

How exciting! I think Jonathon would try the balls on water!! He has a hamster "Frodo" who has his own. (But not on water! Good to see pictures of your girls! They are precious! We have fond memories of being at the "Steeds" home. Hugs to you all from The Fultzovi in Czech Republic!
Joe,Donna and Jonathon