Thursday, December 21, 2006

Fabulous day at the Zoo...


This morning we took a couple of cabs over to the Guangzhou City Zoo. We didn't know exactly what to expect but we thought it would be a nice small zoo with a few animals in the middle of a very crowded and bustling city. Well, it is in the middle of the crowded and bustling city, but what a jewel it is. The zoo was absolutely beautiful! It's walkways were surrounded by trees and beautiful landscaping. It made you actually forget that you were in the city. There weren't very many people there so I guess that helped us in forgetting about the bustling city. We got to see all the usual animals at the zoo but the highlights were that for 10 yuan each (about $1.21) John and the girls each got to hold a chimpanzee! Well, John actually held the chimpanzee and the girls just stood next to it while it rode it's tricycle! What a crack-up. All I kept thinking was - I sure hope the shots we got would cover a chimpanzee bite! :) Of course, nothing of the sort happened. The girls got a hoot out of it! The other funny thing we saw in the Children's "Petting" Zoo area were Pomeranian (sp?) dogs! The other highlight for the girls was the small amusement park that is attached to the zoo. The girls LOVED getting to ride these little battery-type operated cars. The only difference is these things would scoot! Leah had the pedal to the metal and was cruising all over the little area. It was just a big open area that the girls could drive anywhere they wanted so they thought that was really cool. To any adoptive families that are coming to Guangzhou soon, I would highly recommend checking out the zoo! It was great fun! We went with the one of the other couples in our travel group. The girls absolutely love Shane and Angel and they have been so sweet with the girls. You'll notice in the photos that Leah is almost always holding one of their hands! Kate did great on our outing. She was content to be held by John in our hip hammock and then ride around in the stroller. She seemed to enjoy just taking all the sights in. My what a different world hers has become in such a short time.

I hope you enjoy the pictures from the zoo. I also included a few photos from last night when we bought fruit from a farmer on the street. Evidently, these men will bring in their fresh "harvest" into the city and sell them until they are gone. We bought delicious mandarin oranges from him. I have never eaten a mandarine orange that didn't come from a can...boy, the fresh ones are delicious!

Just click on the picture below and it will take you into all the pictures.

6 comments:

Truly Blessed said...

Great pictures! We loved the zoo as well. The dog they chose to display at the petting zoo when we were there last month was a Dalmatian. My kids thought that was hysterical.

Kate seems to be doing so well. I tell you, it's hard work to crack out of a shell! It only gets better...though you know that. Much better!

God bless you all!

Anonymous said...

I love all of the posts and the pictures! Kate really is a beauty! And I've enjoyed all of the pictures of Leah and Lauren - what big girls!! You're right that Kate really must be exploring a whole new world...and it's just beginning! Like the little grandma I have also wondered about John wearing short sleeves....those first pictures of you guys on The Wall - it was SO cold, I couldn't figure out how the temperature changed so much! :) I guess it's just John who's not cold.....you guys have lived in Iowa TOO long!!! I guess you'll be on your way home soon - have a safe trip on Christmas Eve - maybe the girls will see Santa and Rudolph out of the plane window.....I know you'll have a very blessed Christmas with your now FAMILY OF FIVE!!!! Love, Carol

Anonymous said...

Great zoo pictures! The kids loved the pictures of John and the girls with the chimp. :) Jared wants to know when we can go to that place and he can ride those scooters. HA! Thought of you this morning while we worked at MOPS and thought you were probably enjoying your "stress free" day. We leave for MI tomorrow and you will be home soon. Catch ya in the new year!
Love
Jeannie

Colleen said...

Your girls are all so beautiful! I'm so enjoying following your trip from home. Wish we'd known about the zoo when were were there this summer - it looks fabulous! Love those exotic pomeranians, LOL!
- Colleen Thompson from the Holt board

Anonymous said...

John, Cristi, & Girls,

Congratulations on Kate! Your website and blog are awesome! God's blessings for a safe journey home and a great Christmas!

John, Leslie, Makayla & Makenna Moen
Eau Claire, WI

beth flanders said...

Cristi and John,
The girls are sooo cute. Kate is so pretty as she blossoms. Thank you for sharing your new baby with us all. It's so special to see this miracle unravel. The shoes are great. I have some of the ones I see in the picture. Have a wonderful Christmas and God Bless (He definately has) The Flanders